Monday, August 3, 2009

Has it been 10 years already!?!

Well, this past weekend was my 10-year high school reunion up in Nashville. Wes Shutt (senior class president) and I (senior class secretary) had been planning it for months. We started in April, contacting everyone and updating their mailing addresses, emails, phone numbers, etc... There were some moments when I wished I was on Facebook, but those were just my weak moments...I'm still not on Facebook! After a few months, we tracked down about 80% of our class. We graduated from David Lipscomb High School. It was a private Christian school, so our graduating class was small, only 116 people.

Finally, all the months of planning paid off. Saturday for lunch, we had a picnic at Edwin Warner Park (Ashley Ray Spann broke her leg in 9th grade at this very park...fortunately there weren't any accidents this time). We had Whitt's BBQ cater lunch...yum! About 60 people showed up (classmates, spouses/girlfriends/boyfriends/fiances and children). There were a lot of kids, and most of them were all the same age. We did have a few pregnant women as well...

Congrats to Ashley and Matt Spann!
They will be expecting their first child on February 11th!!!


During lunch, I was able to catch up with some old friends. I am one of the few who went away for college and didn't come home, so I don't keep up with too many people...kind of ironic that I was the one planning the reunion. Anyway, it was a great time!!!

That night we had our second half of the event at The Closing Bell, a bar owned by Wes. Wes had downloaded the top videos from 1999 and had them playing on the screens throughout the bar. Needless to say, there were a lot of boy band videos. There was also live music, and we even watched our slide show from our senior year. The quality wasn't that great, but the pictures were priceless. It was pretty funny seeing ourselves 10 years ago. I think we had around 90 people at The Closing Bell...I was very impressed!

Overall, I think the event was a success. It was worth the effort to plan it. All of the people there I hadn't seen in 10 years, with the exception of maybe 7, so it was fun hearing about what everyone is doing. People were already talking about our 20 year reunion...who knows maybe we'll shoot for a 15th.

1 comment:

The Spann's said...

Michelle - you did such a fabulous job! I had a blast on Saturday and of course enjoyed going w/ you! Thanks for all your hard work!