Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Audobon Insectarium

One of my favorite things that we did during bye week was go to the Insectarium. It is literally two blocks from our house. It is this huge museum dedicated to bugs...amazing! It reminded me of the Entomology class that I took my Freshman year at Georgia...easy elective for athletes, but actually very interesting.

When you walk in, you see displays on the history of insects. Then, you can go to this one area and see a few live insects and ask questions about them. That day they had a Black Widow Spider, a Brown Widow Spider and a Scorpion. They are in small containers, so you can see them up close...pretty cool. When you walk through the museum, you see tons of living and replica insects...some I had never heard of. Below are some of the pictures that we took. I couldn't put all the pictures up...there were way too many.

Oh, the pictures are in reverse order. The last thing we did was walk through the Butterfly Sanctuary, a large humid area with butterflies flying around and landing on flowers.
It was amazing!!

This was the only butterfly that looked like this...probably my favorite one.

This one was posing for us...liked getting its picture taken.

I was trying to see how close I could get to one of them.

When we first walked in, one landed on Chris' face and one landed on his chest. It was awesome and made for some amazing pictures!

WARNING: If you get squeemish looking at bugs, proceed with caution.

So they have a cafe where you can go and taste some bugs...yes, I know sounds really gross. But hey, when will I ever taste bugs again...maybe if I'm ever on Fear Factor.

This was probably the grossest thing Chris ate. It is salsa with mill worms in it.

Yum Yum!!
Chris said it was pretty gross because you could taste the texture of the worm and it tasted like dirt. The worms are boiled twice, but I don't think that helped.

I wasn't so brave! I ate a wax worm coated with cinnamon and sugar. It tasted like a burnt, sweet french fry...not too bad. I also ate an herb dip with worms in it, but they were camouflaged by the herbs. Chris ate a cinnamon sugar worm and a cajun spicy worm. We also had cricket cookies, which were actually really good...they were chocolate chip.

Here's Chris being swallowed by the slug. This was in a "cave" where there were lots of replicas like this.

Ok, so here are a few of the insects that we saw.

Can't remember the name of this one, but it looked so cool. God gave him the gift of camouflage.

These are Texas Leaf Cutter Ants. If you look closely, there are two ants in the center of the picture fighting over a piece of leaf. We sat there and watched the one on the left cut it, and then the one on the right came and tried to take it away.

This is a banana slug...enough said!

No comments: